Sunday, June 5, 2011

Bad Neighbour

On the scale of good neighbours I will out right admit we are probably a 1.5. Giving us points only for waving at our imitate neighbours when they are outside, shoveling a little past our property line in the winter, and making sure our lawn in up to snuff in the summer, pretty minimal effort from us I know, making it kinda sad being that we have been in our house five years next month. I always just kinda blamed it on that we are by far the minority on the block and since nobody else was making any sort of effort it was how it was in our neighbourhood. Between the garbage collectors across the street with 100 different vehicles, the anal retentive retired couple right next door to the junk collectors and the multiple family homes we weren't too worried about being friendly.

Things have started to change. First off the neighbourhood "hoarders" have moved... or I should say evicted from their house, and the story goes remortgaged too many times for them to afford. Which probably should be the most exciting thing about living here on our block as now there is actually parking on the street in front of our house if we were to have guests over, and we aren't fighting for space with the garbage trailer anymore. Hooray for not having to call the by-law people anymore! (ooohh should I deduct a point for being the nasty neighbours that call by-law??) But something happened a couple weeks ago that I never thought would happen, we actually met the anal retentive elderly couple that lives right across the street from us. For years Mitch and I called them the "crazy people" that were out the second it would snow sweeping the snow from their driveway in the winter and central vacuuming up the leaves in their planter in the summer. The dude always seemed a little on the creepy side as he smokes every 15 mins on his driveway watching everything that goes on. But I have to honestly say that they are actually not creepy or weird, it's really funny what having a nice conversation with someone will do after creating a whole image of them in your mind for five years. The guy actually came across the street and helped Mitch and me with a large box (we bought Hailey a sandbox) and carried it for me into the backyard. We got to talking and eventually his wife came over and we stood there talking for awhile. Now I wave to them when I see them out, add a few more bonus points to my score? Which is getting me to the reason I decided to blog about this today, Mitch actually went and asked a guy if we could borrow his lawn mower! From zero to hero in the neighbourhood I tell ya! Our lawnmower crapped out last year right before it snowed and we were about to go and buy a new one, but since Lynne bought a new one last year and her new place (yes she already found a new home approx. 2.5 blocks away from us) won't require a lawn mower we are just going to wait to buy hers off her. So it was either load up mom's from her house bring it over and back or just suck it up and ask one of the locals. Wow how have things really started to change in a matter of 3 weeks!

I hear Hailey bear, time to go get her up from her nap,

L

1 comment:

Tammy said...

It's so much nicer when a neighborhood actually feels like a neighborhood. Ours is pretty good as we have met most of our immediate neighbors and I frequently have conversations with Pete and Roxanne or Lorne. I am glad the hoarders moved out. Sometimes people just have to much crap for a city lot and they subject all of the neighborhood to it, drives me nuts too.

Well I am glad things are looking up, I hope the new people that bought that place are better neighbors!