Sunday, June 19, 2011

Love it or Hate it, it keeps coming back every year

Happy Fathers Day! wow what a loaded sentance for me. *Sigh* without trying to sound like some pathetic, love deprived kid that was probably dropped on my head a few times, I really, really hate Fathers Day. I tried to tell myself this morning, today is going to be about Mitch, and not my dad. So Hailey and I let him sleep in, made him a card and tried to make some "pancakes" to eat this morning. The pancakes were a total epic failure, FYI if you try to subsitute soy flour for regular flour they not only will stick like a bastard to the grill but they will not cook in the middle. So I had to clean up the gigantic mess of the failed pancakes to make room to cook up breakfast #2. Slow start to trying to make today a gooder to say the least. I also decided that I will change all diapers, you know to be nice... and today of all days H decided she is going to drop multiple loads. WTH? oh well try to be positive, today after all is Fathers Day. Ugh maybe it's just be and the enormous load of guilt I feel every year when I wake up whether or not if I am going to make the call to my dad, it makes me want to puke a little thinking about it. I know about 4 years ago when I did decide to suck it up and make the call he didn't even bother coming to the phone to talk to me. Just makes me want to go and hide in a hole for the whole day and forget about it. I did however call over to the house about an hour ago and they all were not home (well minus the lazy slacker that lives plus all his children that must be visiting, one of them answered the phone all snotty because she knew why I was phoning and probably got a real sick kick outta telling me nobody was there). I did have a heads-up (plus an invite to hang out at the farm with them all this afternoon, but I gave Mitch the option to go or not as today is his day) that they were going to be out at Lana and Neils, so I called over there to which they hadn't arrived yet. So now after making 2 calls, to do something I don't want to do I will have to make a third call if I do actually want to complete this years painful obligation. Ack I hate the guilt, and I wish I could just not care... where was my gene for this particular skill that my brothers seem to pick up so naturally? Oh well time to go and get ready and appreciate a man that treats me like a daughter anyway, my awesome father-in -law. Suck it up princess, sometimes dead beats are dads. Life's a bitch and then you die....

L

1 comment:

Tammy said...

I am sure that is hard to just try and pretend you don't care if you do. I have never met your dad, but his dad was really a nice guy, you can believe me or not ; >

There were a few touching stories today in the Journal about fathers and they weren't all beaver cleaver ones either, but really sweet. You can keep making new traditions with Hailey and Mitch and eventually there won't be diapers in the mix!