Monday, January 10, 2011

things that make you go hummmm

So last week I was labeled.... I was called a Homophobe. I was talking to a bunch of my favorite ladies in a very relaxed setting without fear of judgement and I was really surprised that I was given the title out of all the ladies in the group! I like to think of myself as a pretty forward thinker on the issue, I don't really care who you are with, as long as you treat that person the best you can, then I'm cool with that. Soooo why was I singled out? I had mentioned that I didn't especially like the lesbian love scenes in the book I was reading. But I also want to make it clear that I don't read romance novels because I really don't like reading about any kind of hot lovin' in any book I read, regardless if it was between a man and a woman or some other combo. Wowsers, I have been meeting with my bookclub for almost two years and I thought that these people would know that I'm pretty tolerant when it comes to quite a lot of various issues. I'm really not too sure why I got so bothered by it, but maybe the bottom line is I don't like being put in the same category as all the psycho gay bashes that get up on their soap boxes and talk about how it's morally wrong, thus going to some kind of hell, or that they in some way are making the wrong choice (as if it was really a choice that they are making...), or that it is disgusting in some way. I'm going to put it out there that no matter if you are hetero or not I don't like gross PDA's and think that it should be left to do in private no matter who the heck you are kissing. Hey I'm the one that firmly believes in marriage remember!!! If you want to go get hitched to your mate then go nuts, besides there are plenty of examples of how not to be married out there so maybe it would bring up the percentages for couples staying married. Ack maybe a little fear bubbled up in me because I know that there is a high percentage of homophobes in my family and I certainly don't want Hailey to be exposed to attitudes like that, I think that tolerance is essential for her and for everyone I spend time with. Oh well, I tried to reason with the group and I don't think that they care either way but I wanted to make it pretty clear that it doesn't really matter to me. Guess I just should keep my dislike of love scenes to myself because that could open a whole other can of whoop ass on me altogether.... ps I'm not a prude but I would totally prefer to read about someone solving a crime or kicking someones butt over pure romance cheese. But I'm in my bookclub to expose me to books I would never read on my own and even though I might not like the book, I like the people.

L

1 comment:

Tammy said...

I know your not a homophobe! If you don't like too much PDA and PD descriptive text, that is OK. I too like books that have some mystery in them, if there is a bit of smut so be it, but I don't like them to go on and on about it. Actually I don't like too much description of anything, I like when a book gets to the point.

At our Mexican trip I read a good book about a girls family that just went missing into thin air. I read it quickly as it was a good book. Then I didn't have another book for the rest of the trip. So my BFF gave me Eat, Pray, Love.

Well, there was way to much eating and praying for me. I didn't even last until the loving part. She went on and on with the descriptions of the food and the prayer, etc. Not my cup of tea.

Anyway, hopefully the group was just teasing you a bit because anyone who knows you knows you aren't an intolerant person : )