Friday, November 12, 2010

be nice... be nice.. be nice...

If you don't know that my husband is in the "people" business I think I should probably start there. I get the pleasure of being the "good cop" being an ear to those that need to vent, kiss the babies and open my house up to anyone out of town that needs a place to crash. I think I have mentioned in a past post that we had last minute guests, which can and will happen to me until the end of time. Most of the time I don't mind, yeah I get a little agitated when they are on the loud side (I have become that cranky old lady that yells to keep it down) but I tend to go momma bear on anyone that deprives the baby of sleep. If it gets the out-of-towners in for some additional training then it's the least I can do to be a good host. This weekend is our company's Canadian convention, and I fully expected to have a house full and to my delight I only have two bodies under our roof till Monday, I guess the only good thing about this weekend for me is they all will be out of the house all day and I won't have to feed them or have to really do much of anything with them.

Ok with that outta the way I need to do a little venting on one of my house guests this weekend, I was struggling with how I was going to address her when she came in my door. Earlier this year she went to Mexico for some kind of weight loss surgery. I for one am pretty much against anyone going to get their stomach stapled, cut, rubber banded, bandaided or any other kind of alteration of any sort. This lady in particular as she was looking for a quick fix to a very serious lifestyle problem. While she stayed here the last time before her surgury I saw her consume an exorbitant amount of Coke from the moment she got up to the moment she went to bed, and all the really really bad food choices she made in between. She nearly died in Mexico shortly after the surgery and is just finally getting back to a "normal" new life with her significantly smaller stomach. As soon as she got in the door all she wanted to do was talk about her weight loss, and since I didn't really want to be honest with her about how I really felt, I acknowledged her and tried to change the subject. But to my avail the conversation always turned back to her surgery, and I was getting more and more enraged about her new situation the more I listened. Not only did she nearly die, but she would casually talk about eating chicken nuggets for breakfast before she hit the road or how she stopped drinking Coke but started to drink Ice Tea instead (due to the fact her new little stomach cannot handle any carbonated drinks) or how sick she got after she gobbled down copious amounts of Halloween candy... It got seriously hard for me to not explode with Hulk like rage at her amazement on how slow she was losing the weight. Ack what to do what to do, this after I was fresh off a killer run on the treadmill and I chose to have a light lunch so I could have a nice dinner out with Mitch (which never happened we all decided to order in Chinese food) and still sick from a nasty little head cold I have been battling all week. *sigh* don't worry I will get off my soapbox here in a second, but I honestly believe that she was not an appropriate candidate for the surgery and without any education I really think she just shortened her life. If nothing else I hope that she can change her terribly ingrained bad habits and get the body that she always dreamed of and prove me wrong. I just know how much sweat and tears it takes to burn those pesky calories, and I just think it's tragic that people like her think that they can beat the system. On a positive note one of my oldest friends who has been battling the bulge for some time has recently lost 30 pounds and is totally pumped to reach her goal of 60. I really think she will do it too and I am cheering her the whole way as she has been hitting the gym 5 times a week and is doing it the right way. Well we might all have a day dream or two of getting all the fat sucked out of us by a super charged shop vac (google 1000 ways to die) we all know that's just dumb, guess I should just listen to my momma and when you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

L

1 comment:

Tammy said...

I was watching a news story recently about people going to mexico for this surgery. First of all..listen to the statement.."going to MEXICO" for surgery. That just doesn't sound like a great plan. Apparently the reason all these people are doing this is because they don't quality for surgery in Canada. In Canada they only do it if you are morbidly obese and really in desperate need to downsize or die. In Canada it is more than just band you up and send you back to McDonalds, they provide counseling, lifestyle change, etc.

The other issue with this news report was the number of people doing this that needed new surgery or hospitalization from infections when the returned to Canada because of there poor judgment. We all cover this with our tax dollars as well.

Everyone is looking for a quick fix to look better, or to not age, or to be skinny or rich. Everything takes work! For those who truly need it and do it properly in cooperation with lifestyle changes, no problem. But it would be annoying as hell to listen to this lady, especially if she has not learned a damn thing from the experience.

Sheesh! Now I am annoyed by her too! lol