Sunday, November 7, 2010

Hello semi-retirement

I had a wonderful time last night at Larry's retirement party. I haven't really talked about my FIL at all, he is just great, maybe it's just easier for a dad to accept a daughter in-law as family. He has been nothing short of wonderful to me since the first day I met him, and he makes it very easy to forget I have a loser of a biological dad. Larry is a very interesting guy, I see so much of Mitch in him it's scary and great at the same time. You never wonder where you stand with him either as he will tell you to "go stick it in your ass" if he thinks you should, but can be the most caring guy when it comes down to something very important to him. There were some really, really funny stories from some of the people that have had the "pleasure" of working with him over the last 34 years. My favorite story was the "dick head" story of a guy that was a total tool, and instead of getting a regular name tag made for him Larry got him one that read "dick head". DH had it last night to show everyone, and besides the laughter nobody was shocked as that's just what Larry does. Even though they had a big open bar party last night for him, he is only technically semi-retired, as he will still contract himself out to his former company as a contractor for the jobs he will choose to work. Over the last 11 years I have only heard his end of the calls that came in at all times of the night, where I would hear a variety of curses, insults and flat out horrifying things come out of his mouth to get the job done. I know people were terrified of him, but last night I was so blown away by all the people that made a heartfelt speech's on how much they respected him and how much they were going to miss him. Linda his wife kept on saying how he hated having such a big deal made over him, but last night he was loving every minute of it and it was so nice to see him in his element. I for one am glad that my mom took Hailey last night so we could really enjoy our selves and sleep in a tad this morning, it was her first crack at keeping her overnight at her house and I hope that there will be plenty more to come. Well another weekend down for 2010, I can't believe that the year is almost over, Hailey is going to be a year and half on Tuesday and Christmas is just around the corner. Where is the time going? Oh well I will enjoy my extra hour today as it's daylight savings here and try not to think about it!

L

No comments: