Friday, October 29, 2010

Facebook

I "heart" facebook. I know that a few people in my brother's blogging challenge really released their blogging rage on their feeling for facebook, so I have been pretty hesitant to talk about it. I have been using FB since 2006 and not only has it allowed me to reconnect with friends, makes it easier to manage my social life, share pictures of my kid with those that are far away, but also keeps you up to date with the people in your life by knowing what is happening in the moment. I know not everyone appreciates the status updates about what you ate for lunch, and nobody want to read about the indigestion you are suffering through from the 10 pounds of wings you ate, but there are always those status updates about the kid that found mom's mascara or the diaper cream accompanied by pictures and I love that. I love getting friend requests from someone that you haven't see or talked to in forever. A simple hello and bam! it's like the last 10 years didn't happen. I know we have all had that moment when you receive the "friend request" from someone that you would rather not be in contact with. You let it sit there a few days trying to figure out if you decline the invitation if the person will try again, just go with your gut I have been burned by the FB guilt and they usually don't make it through a friends purge.

I am fully aware of all the evil things out there that makes any social media a very scary place for young kids. I think you are going to run into that anywhere on the net, you just have to be very aware that there are creepy people out there. People it's called Security settings, just check it out.

As I'm wrapping up this post on my beloved FB I'm about to do a purge of my friends list, some people are really too high drama for this mommy, and I'm sure they don't really care about what I'm into each day due to the fact that they are consumed with managing their relationship status' and flinging all their emotional baggage around like it's nobody's business. What was I thinking when I added some of these people... guess some people never change, like I stated above, go with your gut some people were cut out of the fold for a reason.

L

3 comments:

Chad said...

I don't like Facebook.

While some people might enjoy hearing from someone they haven't seen for 10 years, I don't. My social circle is very small. I talk to the people I want to talk to and the rest... meh. If I happen to bump into someone or they call, email or whatever - that's fine, but if I haven't talked to you in five years... there's probably a reason for that.

However.

As cruel, ironic, fate would have it... I now have a Facebook account. My clients at work have slowly (oh so slowly) been moving towards social media and now they're starting to ask me questions about linking their sites to things like Facebook. In order to answer those questions I need to look at Facebook. In order to even LOOK at Facebook, you need a stupid account. So there you go.

Deal with the Devil? Check.

Tammy said...

I think Facebook is great for those that want to use it. I can see the advantage especially with people who have kids to share pics and stories and all. I am a facebook virgin as well, so i will likely learn a bit through Chad's account. Having a blog for me is enough social media interaction for now, but it will be nice to go to your page and see miss Haileys pictures : )

mombot said...

what is your facebook name under? I will befriend you wahaahaahaa! ps it's good for you, you just don't know it yet!